- UDC UDC
- 00 Prolegomena. Fundamentals of knowledge and culture. Propaedeutics
- 1 PHILOSOPHY. PSYCHOLOGY
- 2 RELIGION. THEOLOGY
- 32 Politics
- 33 Economics. Economic science
- 34 Law. Jurisprudence
- 35 Public administration. Government. Military affairs
- 36 Safeguarding the mental and material necessities of life
- 37 Education
- 39 Cultural anthropology. Ethnography. Customs. Manners. Traditions. Way of life
- 51 Mathematics
- 52 Astronomy. Astrophysics. Space research. Geodesy
- 53 Physics
- 54 Chemistry. Crystallography. Mineralogy
- 55 Earth Sciences. Geological sciences
- 56 Palaeontology
- 57 Biological sciences in general
- 58 Botany
- 59 Zoology
- 60 Biotechnology
- 61 Medical sciences
- 62 Engineering. Technology in general
- 63 Agriculture and related sciences and techniques. Forestry. Farming. Wildlife exploitation
- 64 Home economics. Domestic science. Housekeeping
- 65 Communication and transport industries. Accountancy. Business management. Public relations
- 66 Chemical technology. Chemical and related industries
- 67 Various industries, trades and crafts
- 68 Industries, crafts and trades for finished or assembled articles
- 69 Building (construction) trade. Building materials. Building practice and procedure
- 7 THE ARTS. RECREATION. ENTERTAINMENT. SPORT
- 8 LANGUAGE. LINGUISTICS. LITERATURE
- 9 GEOGRAPHY. BIOGRAPHY. HISTORY
Let us determine the UDC, LBC classification codes for a scientific article online
UDC is a Universal Decimal Classification. This classification code is for human knowledge systematization and can be used in various branches of science. All printed materials of scientific periodicals have UDC code; and it is the basis of the bibliographic classification of scientific and technical information. That is why it is necessary for scientific articles indexing in various databases and, along with the abstract, it is required by the publishing house from the author.
In fact, UDC classification helps to accomplish 3 tasks:
- Classificatory – for organizing data;
- Bibliographic – for cataloging of new articles, books in the electronic library;
- Methodological – for information search on a specific topic.
It should be noted that the UDC performs these tasks well; thereby bibliographers all over the world use it. LBC classification code, author mark, State Classifier of Scientific and Technical Information are used only in Russian Federation and the CIS and regulated by GOST.
- LBC: Library Bibliographic Classification has been used in Russia since 2000.
- Author mark: classifier of the printed publication imprint was implemented by librarian Lyubov Khavkina in 1916.
- State Classifier of Scientific and Technical Information has a hierarchical structure.
State Classifier of Scientific and Technical Information has a hierarchical structure.
«JEL: A14» index is assigned to a scientific work in the discipline «Sociology of Economic Theory».
- «A» characterizes the general category «General Economic Theory and Teaching»;
- «А1» is the second level subcategory «General economic theory»;
- «А14» is the third level and the classifier of the discipline «Sociology of economic theory»
How to define UDC, LBC, JEL classification code all by yourself?
As UDC is mostly a whole system of information classification, it is built on the basis of tables that are catalogues where the cards are the fields of science and knowledge. Therefore, it is not difficult to find out the UDC for a new article.
Just enter the subject of your work in the search in order to define the classification code. For example, for an article on a highly specialized subject «Vacuum physics», we were able to get the classification code 533.5 from the UDC table in a few seconds. It would be much more difficult to find it without built-in search:
- In the first section, you would have to go to paragraph 5 «Mathematics. Natural Sciences»;
- There you would have to find paragraph 53 «Physics»;
- Scroll to the 533rd line «Mechanics of gases. Aeromechanics. Plasma physics»;
- Only here on the 5th position you will find «533.5 Rarefied gases. Vacuum physics».
Just as simple, you will find any special classification code in order to the correct format of a scientific article, monograph or other scientific work with the help of UDC search from 4author.
So put aside the thick UDC paper reference book and other guidelines. We managed to systematize everything and bring it to a convenient form. In order to find the required classification code for different types of documents among the UDC card catalogues, you just need to click a few buttons.
Besides the search in UDC sections, we can also propose you a search in other systems of classification codes that are LBC and JEL.
We hope that we have helped you not only to understand the meaning of UDC, but also provided a useful tool to define classification codes of popular classification and information retrieval systems.